Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Anna's Advent Reflections - Weeks 2-4

Note: I'm typing snail-mail reflections Anna prepared for advent (with slight modifications).  
A little late now that Christmas season is here, but better late than never??
Ray

Week 2: Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths.

I have been reflecting on how to prepare the way of the Lord during this Advent season.  Mother Maria Theresia (founder of the order) has a quote, "Mary will gladly place Him into our hearts if .... we have 'prepared room' for him."  I am so grateful for the gift of faith and example of love that has been given to me by my family.  When I think of how to prepare my heart the sacraments come to mind first, especially reconciliation where God in His mercy offers His full forgiveness.  I also think of scripture, which the second reading mentions.  I have started reading scripture more since I've been at the convent because we have a half hour of daily meditation (and because one of our teachers asks us each week what we have been reading in the Bible and what God has revealed to us in our meditation!).  I've been using the lectio divina method (as explained in Called to Life), and I am frequently reminded in prayer that Scripture is a living letter from our Lord.

I am struck by the fact that Advent as a season mirrors the way we prepare our hearts each time we have the opportunity to receive Jesus in the Eucharist.  My prayer this week is that as we prepare the way of the Lord, our love for the Eucharist deepens. 

Week 3: Make your hearts firm, because the coming of the Lord is at hand.

The countdown is now in the single digits - 8 days until I get to leave for a home visit!  I'm not sure I've ever been so excited about something before - the anticipation is building each day.  Which makes me think twice when reflecting on today's second reading.  How much greater should our anticipation be for the coming of the Lord!  I guess in some ways this Advent season that is forcing us to practice patience is a gift because it offered us a glimpse of how our hearts burn out of desire for God - of that desire to see Him face to face which is what we were create for.

I think it is also worth reflecting on the first reading from Isaiah which says, "Those whom the Lord ransomed will return and enter Zion singing, crowned with everlasting joy; they will meet with joy and gladness, sorrow and mourning will flee."  Those words paint a beautiful picture.  And interestingly enough they remind me of sacrifice.  There are 2 analogies that are used here often.  One is that each time we offer up an inconvenience, hold back from complaining, etc. we are adding another jewel to the crown we will receive in heaven.  I have also come to a better appreciation of offering something up (or enduring something with joy) for the poor souls in Purgatory.  First of all, it is so beautiful to think that you are helping a soul get one step closer to Eternity with God, but then when they get to Heaven, each soul we saved will intercede for us.  Pretty awesome.  My prayer this week is that we will deepen our desire for God each day.

Week 4: When Joseph awoke, he did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him.  

Week 4 has arrived!  Hard to believe.  I love this week's Gospel about St. Joseph.  first of all because it just shows complete trust in God no matter how crazy His plan may seem.  I think of how long I wrestled with saying yes to my vocation and how I struggle with doing God's will each day.  But it appears that Joseph just acted without hesitation when he heard God speak through the angel.

Blessed Maria Theresia had such a devotion to St. Joseph.  She would place her bills and requests under his statue and he would provide.  He was her protector wherever she went - including when her stagecoach was help up when she was traveling from Lafayette, IN to Columbus, NE.  Each of the sisters still have "of St. Joseph" at the end of their name in gratitude for all he provided for the community.  

Lastly, I think of that Todd Agnew song when Joseph says "this is all I have to give" (Link to Todd Agnew's explanation of the song).  Such an example of humility and an example to us that in our sinfulness and limitations, Jesus gladly accepts all that we give to Him, no matter how small, because it's done out of love.

My prayer this week is that St. Joseph and the holy family will bless time together as families this Christmas so that we may grow in holiness.  


No comments:

Post a Comment