Monday, December 2, 2013

Advent Reflection from Anna

Note: I'm typing Anna's snail-mail reflections on advent with slight modifications. 
Ray

Happy Advent!

The ending of the reading from Isaiah from the 1st Sunday of Advent readings "let us walk in the light of the Lord" reminds me of that great DC Talk song "In the Light" (lyrics, video).  It makes me think of all the earthly attachments to material things an to sin that lead me astray from that path to walk on in the light of the Lord.  Even at the convent my mind races during prayer as I think of my to do list, what I will ear for dinner, or as I judge another sister for being irreverent.  If my on and only goal in life is to love and serve God, why can't I just "put on Jesus Christ and make no provision for the desires of the flesh" as Paul says in the second reading?

There is no doubt that my Advent season will be quieter and will allow for more prayer than yours, but we all have such an opportunity this Advent to decrease our desire for the flesh and increase our dependence on God.

I think of Our Lady of Mount Carmel's commitment to the Adopt an Angel program and how the clients you serve lack material things.You observe the clients daily dependence on God and observe God working through those who buy gifts, donate money, deliver gifts and help run the Adopt and Angel program.  I think of the blessing you have and how you show them a glimpse of God's unconditional love by providing food, toys, and joy.  I think of the ways that you sacrifice daily at home and work and how that giving increases the capacity of your hearts for love. 

My prayer this week is that we depend totally on God.

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment